Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A recipe found in the UK's Independent newspaper. Would be great for a summer picnic or as a side to a barbecue.
- 2 large eggplants, cut lengthways into 2cm thick slices
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coriander, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Heat a frying pan until very hot.
- Brush the eggplant with a little oil and fry in batches until soft and cooked through.
- Arrange on a platter.
- Mix the lemon juice and garlic together with 5 tbsp of the olive oil and some salt and pepper, to taste.
- Drizzle over the eggplant.
- Let the dish sit for 5 minutes, then scatter the cheese and herbs over and serve.
I'm not sure why this has not been reviewed yet. This dish is fabulous. I made two adjustments: a) I used basil instead of coriander because I didn't have any, and 2) I cut the eggplants widthwise instead of lengthwise, as well as a bit thinner. Adding the basil did change the flavour but it merried well with the other ingredients. Next time I will plan ahead and use coriander. I'm adding this recipe to my Keeper File. This would make a great appetizer as well. I recommend that you try it at least once, and if you're an eggplant lover, you'll be hooked forever. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe, Sackville, and many happy travels. :-)