Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
We got this recipe years ago from one of Gretchen's many boyfriends The boyfriend is long gone but the recipe remains. I think we got the better part of the deal. This is a cakey kind of cookie - nice and fluffy.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice (fresh works best, 2 oranges)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 -4 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- powdered sugar
- 1 orange, rind of
- Mix the shortening, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and add them.
- Drop by spoonful cookie sheet and bake at 350°F fors 8-10 minutes. Should be cake like.
- Add a light glaze of powered sugar OJ and orange rind on these after they are cool. Mix the juice and rind together, adding the powdered sugar until you get the consistency your looking for.
- ** Can sub regular milk plus 1 tbsp vinegar for buttermilk if don't have any.
The consistency of these "cookies" was more of a heavy cake batter, so I used a jelly roll pan and made bars. They were great!