Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is based upon a recipe from a cookbook called: " So eat my darling- A guide to the Yiddish kitchen" . Its delicious.
- 1 cup uncooked dried kasha
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cups bow tie pasta, uncooked (pasta)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- salt and pepper
- Brown the Kasha in a large hot skillet, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Quickly stir in the egg yolks and stir vigorously until the grains are coated. Add salt and boiling water. Reduce heat and cook until grains are tender and the water is absorbed ( about 8 minutes) . Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet and saute the onions until golden. Set aside.
- Cook noodles until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Combine Kasha, noodles and onions. Mix well . Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture into a 9" x 9" greased pyrex dish. Dot with butter or margarine.
- Bake in 400F preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.