Recipe by Aroostook
These are the best! The secret is letting them chill for a long time before rolling.
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons melted butter, cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- oil (4 inches) or melted shortening, to deep fry (4 inches)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs and add cooled melted butter.
- Mix well and add sugar and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and mix.
- Add cream and buttermilk.
- Cover and leave in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Spoon out 1/2 mixture to a lightly floured surface.
- Return dough to fridge to chill.
- Dust rolling pin with flour and roll out to 1/2 in thick.
- Cut out and fry.
- Fry these at 360 F in cast iron dutch oven or other fryer.
- Turn once.
- Drain on several layer of paper toweling.
- Makes 18 doughnuts & 18 doughnut holes.
- These freeze really well (w/o sugar dusting).
- While hot, roll in sugar if you like but these are really good plain.