Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This Grenoble tart is so rich it is almost a confection. The shell is similar to shortbread, and the filling consists of coarsely chopped walnuts, sugar, butter and corn syrup. Serve with whipped cream for a contrast in texture. For smaller treats, the same recipe can be made up as tartlets.
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup regular margarine
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup regular margarine
- 1⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (divided)
- MAKE TART SHELL: In a medium bowl, with wooden spoon or electric mixer, beat 1/3 cup butter with granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk; beat well.
- Gradually beat in flour just until blended (mixture will be crumbly).
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- With hands, form dough into a ball.
- Press evenly into bottom and side of a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom.
- Bake in center of oven 12 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
- MAKE FILLING.
- Spread nuts on cookie sheet in single layer.
- Bake 375°F oven for 5 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle walnuts in bottom of tart shell.
- In heavy 2-quart saucepan, stir sugar with butter, corn syrup and 2 Tablespoons heavy cream.
- Stirring constantly, bring to boiling over medium heat; boil 1 minute.
- Pour over walnuts.
- Bake in center of 375°F oven 10 minutes, or just until mixture is bubbly.
- Place on wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat remaining cream just until stiff.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Serve tart at room temperature with bowl of whipped cream.
- Serves 12.
- TARTLETS: Divide pastry into 16 pieces.
- With fingers, press evenly into 16 (2 1/2-inch) tart pans.
- Bake; on cookie sheet, at 375°F 8 to 10 minutes; cool.
- Divide 1 cup finely chopped nuts into shells placed on cookie sheets.
- Pour filling into shells, dividing evenly.
- Bake 8 minutes, or just until filling is bubbly.
- Remove tarts from cookie sheets; cool on wire rack.
- TO SERVE: With tip of sharp knife, loosen edge of pastry from each tart pan.
- Lift out gently to serving plate.
- Serve with chilled whipped cream.
- Makes 16 servings.
- McCalls Cooking School.
I have made this many times and it is wonderful. I grew up in Calif where walnuts were plentiful and fresh. I saw this in a 1983 McCall's magazine, Cooking School page. Has a great presentation and tastes great too.