Greg's Pinto Beans - Refried Beans
- Mash and cook chorizo in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Drain half of the liquid out of the cans of beans (or leave undrained, but it will take longer cooking to thicken). Add partially drained beans to the browned chorizo; stir well. Stir in 3 small fresh chile peppers (whole).
- Bring beans to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-high. Stirring occasionally, let beans continue to cook for 10 to 20 minutes, or until liquid begins to thicken. When beans begin to thicken, mash beans in the pot with a potato masher, leaving some beans whole.
- Reduce heat to medium; continue to cook and stir occasionally, until beans have thickened to your preferred consistency, about 5 minutes longer.
- When done, remove the chili peppers. Stir in a dash of garlic powder and a splash of corn oil, if desired. Stir in cubed cheese and remove from heat.
- Serve warm, with a dollop of sour cream if desired.