Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
We played with many recipes and created this Spaghetti Sauce. It great to use for cooking a large batch and giving to those who have suffered a illness or death in the family.
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian tomatoes (Roma)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (8 ounce) cansof sliced black olives
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh would be best)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch over or stock pot with heat set at medium.
- Add the diced garlic, diced onions and sliced mushroom and brown.
- Add the ground beef and Italian sausage with the skins peeled off it links.
- Crumble the meat as you are browning over a medium to medium high heat.
- Brown till there is no pink on meat.
- Add the cans Italian tomatoes, tomato puree a tomato paste and the sliced olive and mix well.
- Use a little water to clean cans and add to sauce.
- Add the dry red wine.
- Add the basil, oregano, parsley, red peper flakes, thyme, paprika, sugar, salt and bay leaf.
- Allow the spices to cook in and let simmer on medium-low heat covered.
- I normally let sauce simmer for 2 to 4 hours.
- Boil water and cook thin spaghetti per instruction.
- Remove the bay leaf Garnish the top with grated Romano or parmesan cheese.
This is great!! I had 5lbs of hamburger in the freezer waiting for me to make a spaghetti sauce to can.I had about 4 lbs of Italian sausage. I bought a lb of fresh mushrooms because I always add them, I just happened to have all the other ingredients too. Here`s a tip that some might want to try, I use my cuisinart and after browning the meat I put about 2lbs at a time in it and just pulse it barely for three pulses, Its always so time consuming to stand over the frying pan trying to break up the big chunks, I also do this when I add sausage to my dressing.I also do that with the canned tomatoes and of course the onions and mushrooms, it just makes things so much easier and if your canning there`s enough work that goes into it. Your recipe is going into my Favorites and I will definitely make it again
You have a hit on your hands with this recipe. I made it as directed but cooked it in my crockpot on low for 8 hours. Served it with side salad and Texas Garlic Toast. Anything with black olives in it my children will love. LOKL
Ahhhh!! Loved it!! I have been going to this italian place near by and they have this wonderful sauce...i always wondered how to make it!! And voila!! Followed yours and it was beyond good! My boyfriend loved it! thanks so much!! :D