Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my father-in-law's sub recipe and is a great spin on a traditional favorite. It's a delicious meaty, cheesy, and altogether satisfying meal. The lettuce and sauce is what gives it the great taste. It is not nearly as spicey as it might appear.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 lb deli style pepperoni slice
- 1⁄2 lb sliced salami
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mesquite deli turkey
- 1⁄2 lb sliced virginia ham
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 head lettuce
- 8 ounces jalapenos
- 16 ounces pizza sauce
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 ounces sliced black olives
- 1⁄3 yellow onion
- 3⁄4 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 (12 inch) submarine buns
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop 1/2 head of lettuce up into about 1" pieces.
- Place lettuce in plastic ziploc bag with the juice from the jar of jalapenos and about 6-10 slices of jalapenos.
- Stick the bag into the refrigerator for later.
- Dice up mushrooms, olives, and onion.
- In a skillet, saute onions with butter for 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, olives, pizza sauce, and parmesean cheese and heat on low/medium until cheese melts and mixture is warm.
- If buns are not cut in half lengthwise do that now.
- Open up buns and on the bottoms place 4 slices of provolone and on the tops place 4 slices of mozzarella.
- Divide up and place the pepperoni on the bottoms and the salami on the tops.
- Divide up and place the turkey on the bottoms and the ham on the tops.
- Place the bottoms and tops directly on the racks in the oven and cook for 18-20 minutes (or untill cheese is thoroughly melted).
- Liberally spoon sauce on the bottom halves and then place lettuce on top of sauce.
- Add tops, slice in half, and enjoy!
I made this for my Father for FAther's DAy, he said it's the best sub he's ever eaten. I will make this again real soon.