Recipe by Abujessica
I came across this rib recipe a while ago and added a little to it to make the best ribs I ever tasted. It's borderline ridiculous how good they come out!
- 3 lbs baby back ribs (2 slabs)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices smoked bacon
- 2 bunches fresh thyme
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Put 2 slabs of baby back ribs (about 3 pounds) on a baking sheet.
- Season the 2 slabs with salt, pepper, fresh thyme and some olive oil.
- Place them in the oven and bake. Low and slow - for 2 1/2 hours.
- As the ribs are baking, make the BBQ sauce. Start by wrapping 2 bacon slices around 1 bunch of fresh thyme and tie off with kitchen twine to make a nice bundle. I have found that if you don't have kitchen twine, the bacon will basically stay closed on its own, without being tied up.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the bacon and thyme bundle and cook for 3-4 minutes to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a nice smoky taste.
- Peel 1/2 onion and 2 garlic cloves and add to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of ketchup,1 cup of peach preserves, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of molasses, 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon dry mustard, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground paprika and some freshly ground black pepper to saucepan.
- Give Sauce a stir and turn the heat down to low.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Baste the ribs with the BBQ sauce and let them continue cooking, basting once every 15 minutes until the 2 1/2 hour cooking time is finished.
- When the ribs are cooked, take them out of the oven. Cut the ribs straight through on an angle.
- Pick the onion and garlic out of the BBQ sauce and serve with the ribs.