Recipe by Greg McGuire
I really got into health foods and I really like this recipe because even the store bought healthy breads didn't seem all that healthy when I read their ingredients. You will really like it too.
Top Review by Liz Hallsworth
This is the best bread ever and so easy in the bread machine. I've never written a review before, but I just had to let people know how good this is. Even my husband who complains about "healthy" bread loved it and the kids keep asking for more. The only changes I made were using whole wheat flour for 1/2 the flour and using chia seeds instead of the flax seeds. I did not use the wheat gluten. This makes GREAT toast and I"m sure it would make great sandwich rolls as well. Thanks so much for sharing!
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water (I prefer filtered water)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unpasteurized honey
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup raw oats
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast (about 2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (also optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bread machine pan mix warm water, olive oil and honey.
- Dump in flour, raw oats, salt, wheat gluten and flax seed.
- Make a well in the center and put the package of yeast in the well.
- If using the bread machine this will make a 2 LB loaf.
- I usually let the bread dough mix and rise in the bread machine for about an hour and 10 minutes.
- Then I dump the dough in a regular pan, punch it down, let it rise in the oven on low for 20 minutes and then bake at 375°F until dark golden brown.