1 hr 15 mins
This is an oft-requested dish in my family. It comes by way of my mother's boss, hence the recipe title. You can make this in a single session, or assemble the dish and refrigerate until later when you're ready to bake and serve... for example, assemble it at home, then take it to a get-together to bake and serve hot. Well worth the effort, and you'll be the hit of the party.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage or 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1.5 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce (39 ounces total)
- 1 (6 ounce) package sliced provolone cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Boil noodles 8-10 minutes or until al dente (pasta is firm, but not hard); drain.
- 2Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in olive oil until transparent. Stir in rosemary and garlic; set aside.
- 3Cook ground beef and sausage in skillet over medium heat until brown. Stir in onion mixture and spaghetti sauce. Season with salt to taste. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes.
- 4In a greased, 2-inch deep 9"x13" baking dish, layer half of the cooked pasta, provolone cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, and a little less than half of the meat mixture. Layer the rest of the pasta, mozzarella cheese, remaining meat mixture and Parmesan cheese.
- 5Store covered with foil overnight in the refrigerator, or proceed directly to next step.
- 6Bake uncovered at 350F for 20-30 minutes (30-35 minutes if previously refrigerated) or until heated through and cheeses are melted.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greg's Baked Ziti
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 718.9
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 80.4 mg
- Sodium 1498.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 34.9 g