Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries, coursely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Mix first five ingredients.
- Then add OJ, peel, shortening and egg and mix until well blended.
- Stir in cranberries and nuts.
- Spread in loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until you get clean toothpick.
- Cool on rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Eat it warm with milk.
my daughter made this and brought me a piece. Delicious! Except she used the entire bag of cranberries in it, and used pecans instead of macadamia nuts... It was so good... had a sweet,, tart taste.. Wonderful! I would follow my daughters changes, but use splenda instead of sugar..
Delicious bread! Very quick and easy, too. Loads of cranberries make this slightly tart. It is definitely not too sweet, but is very moist. A nice change from some quick breads that can be overly sweet. The macadamia nuts are a nice surprise. I baked this in a cast iron loaf pan at 325 degrees and it turned out perfect. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.