Top Review by D2thaK
Was going to post this exact recipe for safekeeping. I've been making this since 1990. It's wonderful. Absolutely worth the effort. Thanks Gregg for saving me the labor of posting!
- 4 large potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 6 -8 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled & divided
- 6 green onions, chopped and divided
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake potatoes at 400 degrees for an hour.
- Cut in half lengthwise, scoop out and reserve pulp; make stuffed potato skins from shells.
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in potato, salt, pepper, 1/2 bacon, 2T onion, garlic and 1 c cheese.
- Cook until thoroughly heated (do not boil).
- Stir in sour cream and heat.
- Serve with remaining bacon, onion and cheese.