Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
South Beach Diet Online (Phase 2) Pizza for breakfast? Why not? It's especially tasty when topped with a sunny-side-up egg and veggies. Quarter or halve the recipe for just one or two pizzas, and try shredded part-skim mozzarella instead of feta, if you like.
- 5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups spinach, packed
- 2 (6 inch) whole grain pita, halved horizontally
- 2 large plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat. Add spinach, in batches if necessary, and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Brush inside of each pita round with 1 teaspoon oil. Place pita rounds, oiled side up, on a large baking sheet and bake until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Divide tomatoes and spinach evenly among pita halves, leaving an empty space in the center of each for an egg. Crack 1 egg into the center of each pita. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, return to the oven, and bake until yolks are lightly set, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until cheese has softened, about 2 minutes more. Serve warm.
Yummy! Sorry about the photo, the glare of the flash kept reflecting off the egg and cheese. These looked like pretty green wreaths made of spinach and decorated with nice red ornament tomatoes and topped off with a yummy cheese coved egg. Made as written and think the suggestion in the description to use mozzarella is a great idea as an alternative to feta. Thanks for such a tasty post.