Greens W/ Beets, Haricots Verts & Goat Cheese Croutons
For the Vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- fresh ground black pepper
For the Salad
- 3 beets, washed and dried, outer skin left on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 baguette
- 9 ounces goat cheese, in log shape
- 3⁄4 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 6 cups lightly packed mixed greens, such as frisee, red leaf lettuce, and mizuna, washed and dried
- 1⁄2 lb French haricots vert, trimmed, cooked until just tender, shocked in cold water, and drained
- 1⁄2 cup null or 1⁄2 cup other good-quality black olives
- TO MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, salt, shallots, and thyme. Add the olive oil in a slow stream, whisking to emulsify. Season with pepper and more salt, if needed.
- TO MAKE THE SALAD: Heat the oven to 400 degrees F If you choose to make your own beets: Rub the beets with the olive oil, put them on a baking sheet, and bake until fork-tender, 60 to 90 minute When cooled, peel off the outer skin and slice the beets into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Cut the baguette into 12 slices about 1/4 inch thick. Toast under the broiler until light golden brown on one side; turn them over and lightly brown the other side. Cool. With a hot, wet knife, cut the goat cheese into 12 slices. Put a round of cheese on each slice of baguette. Sprinkle with the herbes de Provence, thyme, and pepper and set aside.
- When ready to serve the salad, heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put the croutons in the oven until the cheese softens, about 5 minute Meanwhile, arrange a few slices of beets on salad plates. Season lightly with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the greens, haricots verts, and olives with enough vinaigrette to just moisten them. Divide the mixture among the salad plates. Put a warm crouton on either side and serve.