Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a delicious recipe from the 1993 Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Cooking magazine. For those who enjoy greens, the stuffing adds a nice flavor. Our family has enjoyed this for Sunday or Holiday meals. We like it with Black-eyed Pea Salad (#200098) and a potato dish.
- Place ham meaty side up on a cutting surface.
- On the meaty side, cut 5 or 6 pockets parallel to the bone (lengthwise) about 1 - 2 inches deep and 3/4 inch apart; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, bring water to a boil.
- Add kale and celery, cover, and reduce heat to low, cooking for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Drain kale and celery.
- Stir in butter, brown sugar, vinegar, pepper and mustard.
- Add bread cubes; toss to mix.
- Spoon stuffing into the pockets of the ham.
- Tie with kitchen string to keep in place if necessary.
- Place ham, stuffed side up, on a rack in a shallow roaster.
- DO NOT ADD WATER OR COVER THE PAN.
- Bake for 2-2 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 150°F.
- IF NECESSARY, cover ham loosely with foil after 1 hour to prevent burning.
- To serve, slice ham perpendicular to the bone.