Recipe by Marie
Like the restaurant dish, Greens and Beans, this recipe takes it to a new level by adding Italian sausage and pasta. This is an awesome tasting dish that takes me back to my Italian Grandmother's kitchen.
Top Review by Patti C
We liked this a lot. Hubby thought it needed more veggies so next time I'll throw in a few green onions, maybe a chopped tomato, and some thinly sliced or shredded carrots. Using black beans as well as the canneloni beans might be good too. I used hot Italian sausage and it kicked it up a little. Overall, a very good dish that we'll make again. Thanks Marie!
- 12 ounces pasta (I like Rotini or Penne)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces Italian sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) packagefresh escarole, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil and saute sausage and garlic together until sausage is browned.
- Stir in escarole and cook until wilted.
- Stir in chicken broth, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add drained cooked pasta, beans and Parmesan cheese to skillet and stir over low heat for about 5 minutes until juices thicken.
- Serve topped with additional grated Parmesan cheese.
- Note: If you cannot find the escarole in a sack, use 1 bunch of fresh escarole, chopped.