1/2 Photos of Greens and Mozzarella Casserole
This casserole is really delicious, and is great if you're looking for a vegetarian meal. It has the added benefit of being low-carb meal, but you can add cooked macaroni to the cheese mixture if you wish. It works well with a variety of greens, but my favorite is spinach. I don't remember where I got this recipe, but I've been making it for a long time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs greens, washed & trimmed (kale, collards, beet greens, or any combination. I usually use spinach)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish or casserole; preheat the oven to 375 degrees or (350 degrees if using an oven-proof glass dish).
- 2Cut out and discard the tough stems of the greens; if using kale or collards, cut out thick center ribs.
- 3Rinse all the greens and shake off any excess water, then chop them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 4In a large skillet, cook the greens over low heat, adding them by handfuls and stirring them down as they wilt; add 1/2 cup of water if the greens seem dry.
- 5Cover the skillet and braise for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender.
- 6Pour off any liquid left in the skillet, then season the greens with salt and pepper; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 7Heat the broth and half-and-half in a saucepan just until bubbles form around the edge of the pan.
- 8In a large skillet, melt the butter over low heat.
- 9Add the flour and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- 10Add the hot broth mixture all at once and stir over medium heat until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- 11Whisk in the grated Parmesan and ricotta.
- 12Stir the greens into the cheese sauce and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- 13Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and then sprinkle the grated mozzarella over the top.
- 14Bake for 20 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the mozzarella is melted and lightly browned.
- 15Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greens and Mozzarella Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.2
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 60.5 mg
- Sodium 299.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: