Recipe by YiayiaMouse
This is a versatile salad, so mix it up (no pun intended) however YOU like it! You can easily add sliced protein (steak or fish, etc.) and some fresh bread to make a meal out of this one. The vinaigrette was born out of a desire to use up some orange marmalade and to dress a lunch salad. (Read: light, fresh, bright) The photo has a jalepeno because I was so close to chopping some up. I think it will be great... next time! NOTE: We like our vinaigrette's more acid than oil, so if you prefer oily you'll need to probably DOUBLE the oil, and if you like sweet, add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of sugar, too! THE SYSTEM WON'T LET ME ADD THE 1 CUP OF RADDICHIO, but you'll want to add it!
- 1 cup red leaf lettuce
- 1 cup green lettuce
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup frisee
- 1 cup chard leaves
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced (large)
- 4 -8 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 red onion, sliced thin (small to medium)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 -6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (we use reduced fat)
- 1⁄2-1 cup nuts, toasted in a dry, hot pan (walnuts, cashews, etc.)
- 1 orange, seeded, segmented and chopped (optional)
Vinaigrette (mkes about 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade (chunkier is better!)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger (I eyeball or taste this, so I'm guessing)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground, if available
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix greens and herbs together.
- Add celery, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and cucumber (and anything else you decided to add!).
- Prepare vinaigrette by mixing all ingredients except oil. Add oil gradually, whisking continuously until fully emulsified. (Or, if you prefer, add all ingredients to a sealed container and shake thoroughly.).
- If you like your lettuce "marinated", toss the vinaigrette into the salad and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- BEFORE SERVING: Add feta, walnuts (and oranges, if you're using them) and protein, if any, just before serving (don't toss).
- I hope you enjoy the salad as much as we do. It's a fresh alternative to the everyday!