Recipe by Mamie37
Wonderful supper dish. This is served in all the Italian restaurants and many homes in Western New York.
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head escarole
- 2 cans cannellini beans, with juice
- 3 links Italian sausage, sliced and cooked
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- freshly grated parmesan cheese or pecorino cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and separate escarole.
- Gently simmer in water until leaves are wilted.
- Saute garlic in hot oil about 30 seconds.
- Add escarole, turning frequently to coat with garlic and oil.
- Add cannelini beans, sausage, salt and pepper, and red pepper.
- Simmer gently until heated through.
- Serve in soup bowls, and pass the Parmesan.