Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Wonderful supper dish. This is served in all the Italian restaurants and many homes in Western New York.
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head escarole
- 2 cans cannellini beans, with juice
- 3 links Italian sausage, sliced and cooked
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- freshly grated parmesan cheese or pecorino cheese
- Clean and separate escarole.
- Gently simmer in water until leaves are wilted.
- Saute garlic in hot oil about 30 seconds.
- Add escarole, turning frequently to coat with garlic and oil.
- Add cannelini beans, sausage, salt and pepper, and red pepper.
- Simmer gently until heated through.
- Serve in soup bowls, and pass the Parmesan.
So easy and so delicious. The beans are so creamy, and the escarole lends subtle spice and flavor. We used Italian turkey sausage. We'll make this again for sure.
Great comfort food. I grew up on this. The only thing I do different is wilt the escarole in olive oil and garlic rather than boil it. My mom cooks the sausage first in the pan with oil and garlic then adds the escarole to the pan (without draining the grease!) to wilt. She also sometimes cooks potato cubes with the sausage. Thanks for posting this.
Excellent flavor and easy to make.