Recipe by Oolala
This is my Aunt Edna's recipe given to me by her Grandson, David, for the family reunion cookbook that I am compiling. He said this recipe is "guaranteed to give you heartburn"!
- 1 (13 ounce) box dried kasha, Wolff's brand, medium grain
- 1 large egg
- 4 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 4 cups water, salted to taste (1/2 tsp.)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large baking pan mix 2 beaten eggs with ½ teaspoon salt and the whole box of Kasha. Spread out and coat Kasha with eggs until Kasha is dry. It takes time, so be patient.
- In large 8 quart pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add ½ teaspoon of salt. Stir in Kasha egg mix. Remove from heat source. Cover pot and let stand until all water is absorbed (takes about 20 minutes). Then mix with fork. Let Kasha remain in pot.
- Fry 4 chopped onions in the vegetable oil until onions are caramelized. Add onions to Kasha and mix well (Kasha remains in pot).
- Prepare bows as directed on package. Drain well.
- Blend the bows the with Kasha and enjoy.