Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Condiment suitable for hotdogs, hamburgers, sausage. My neighbour asked if I could make her some bean relish because she remembered her mother making it. Unfortunately, she didn't have a recipe and I couldn't find one on the Internet, so I looked at the ingredients on a jar of sweet cucumber relish and this is what I came up with...
- 2 lbs mixed green and yellow beans (fresh or frozen)
- 4 large onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Finely chop beans and onions. (Cut into large pieces first & then use high speed on food processor.).
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large pan, and simmer 30 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Mix water and cornstarch.
- Increase heat until mixture boils, stirring frequently, and stir in cornstarch to thicken.
- Ladle hot mixture into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1" of head space. Use non-metal spatula to remove air bubbles. Apply snap lids and finger tighten bands.
- Can be stored in the fridge 'as is', or can be processed with a pressure canner (canning time included in total cooking time given below.)
- Pressure process at 10 lbs:
- 20 minutes for 1/2 pint and pint jars, 25 minutes for quart jars.