Don't throw out the tops of your garden produce!! Radish greens, beet greens, spinach or romaine lettuce all work beautifully in this unusual application, lending it a fabulous green hue. Don't worry, though - all you taste is rich vanilla!
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sucanat or 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh radish greens or 1 1⁄2 cups beet leaves or 1 1⁄2 cups spinach
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon green food coloring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- frosting, for decoration (I suggest a tangy cream cheese or French vanilla frosting)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9x13” pan.
- In a food processor, combine eggs, vanilla, sugar, greens, oil, applesauce and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
- Add the flour, pudding mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse to mix inches.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan before frosting, or serve dusted with icing sugar.