Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Don't throw out the tops of your garden produce!! Radish greens, beet greens, spinach or romaine lettuce all work beautifully in this unusual application, lending it a fabulous green hue. Don't worry, though - all you taste is rich vanilla!
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sucanat or 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh radish greens or 1 1⁄2 cups beet leaves or 1 1⁄2 cups spinach
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon green food coloring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- frosting, for decoration (I suggest a tangy cream cheese or French vanilla frosting)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9x13” pan.
- In a food processor, combine eggs, vanilla, sugar, greens, oil, applesauce and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
- Add the flour, pudding mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse to mix inches.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan before frosting, or serve dusted with icing sugar.