Recipe by *Alia*
This is a very moist and cake. Nice light flavor without being too sweet
Top Review by sadielady
I halved this recipe and made 12 cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day. They were 5 star as far as the texture is concerned. Very moist. Light and tender despite all the oil. They leave an oily residue on your hands, but don't taste oily or greasy. Because most of the flavour comes from the frosting, I tweaked the recipe slightly to try and boost the flavour of the cupcakes themselves. Used 1 cup of sugar for the half recipe and would do that again. Used 1 tsp. vanilla for the half recipe, and added 1/2 tsp. almond extract and 3/4 tsp. rosewater. Because I wanted a vibrant green, I used 1 Tbsp. green food colouring. Filled cupcake liners just over halfway. Baking time was 20 mins. Didn't make the frosting in the recipe, but frosted with a cream cheese frosting instead.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon green food coloring
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine eggs, sugar, oil and vinegar in bowl.
- Mix well.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
- Blend in vanilla and food coloring.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 8 " cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Frost between layers, top and side of cake.