Try an old fashioned nourishing soup, full of healthy green things. The fresh herbs add a delicious flavour, but if you are not able to find sorrel,simply omit it. (from the local newspaper)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small cabbage, quartered
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, sliced lengthwise and crosswise
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups new potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/3 cup fresh peas or 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups bibb lettuce, whole, quartered and sliced thinly (or fresh spinach)
- 1/4 cup sorrel, sliced
- creme fraiche (optional) or plain yogurt, to garnish (optional)
- 1Fill a pan or pot large enough to hold cabbage with water, add bay leaf, cover and bring to a boil.
- 2Add cabbage quarters and blanch for 3 minutes, drain, pat dry and slice cabbage thinly.
- 3In a large pot, heat butter, add cabbage, leeks, onion and salt and cook until softened, 5 to 10 minutes; add potatoes, parsley and 8 cups of water; add salt and pepper to taste and simmer gently for 40 minutes.
- 4Stir in peas, lettuce or spinach and sorrel and cook for 10 minutes more.
- 5Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 6Ladle into bowls, add 1 tablespoon creme fraiche or yoghurt, if using to each and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Veggie Soup
Serving Size: 1 (561 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.9
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 1223.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: