Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an excellent vitamin-packed soup, full of wonderful flavor. From Souped Up by Jane Pettigrew.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 85 g brown lentils
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 (400 g) cans artichokes, drained and quartered
- 115 g sugar snap peas, cut into 1/2 inch diagonal pieces
- 115 g fresh spinach, thoroughly washed
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the spring onions and garlic and cook gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, celery, stock, parsley, thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover pan and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes, until the lentils are almost cooked.
- Add the zucchini, artichokes and sugar snap peas and simmer for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the pesto, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy.