Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
You can use any green veges for this dish. Had to include 3 specifically for the recipe to be posted. Use whatever is in season. eg chinese cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, snow peas, capsicum etc. Traditional Chinese stir frys do not contain more than three types of veges. I have heard it said that more than three would look like you are cleaning out the fridge. This dish is naturally gluten free. If adding sauces such as soy before serving- check they are GF too.
- Heat the wok a minute or two. Then add the peanut oil. Gentley swirl the oil around the wok to coat the sides.
- If you are using aromatics such as the ginger and garlic, add them at this point and stir-fry for about a minute to release the flavours.
- Add your selected vegetables. Immediately tumble the vegetables until they have all been glazed with the oil.
- Add a little sugar and about 1/2 cup water. Cover and continue to cook using a high heat for another 2 -3 minutes.
- If desired you can add a little soy sauce or oyster sauce before serving.
Looks like this recipe is popular for the ZWT 4 Add More Veggies Challenge. It was my base recipe also. I used broccoli, sugar peas, English peas, spinach, carrot, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots,yellow summer squash, red bell pepper, mushrooms and onion (no sugar). This was served over steamed brown rice for a great dinner. Made for the Diabetic Forum "Add More Veggies" Challenge (ZWT4)
I know the Chinese believe more than 3 veggies looks like you are cleaning out the fridge but thats excactly what I did. I had some broccoli, green beans, green pepper, mushrooms in small quanties. So my fifth veg I took a carrot for colour. Hubby needs to eat lots of veggies so he was very happy . I enjoyed the dish as well. I added some soy sauce the last few seconds and it tasted very good. Thank you for a nice meal. I made this for ZWT4 for the Asian challenge for the Chic chefs
Well, so I'm not terribly Chinese-traditional, but then the challenge I cooked this for required 5 veggies! So, besides opting for 1 teaspoon of garlic, I used 1/2 a good size head of broccoli, 1/2 green pepper, 1 zucchini, 1 cup of cut green beans & 1 cup of snow peas! I put the pepper, geans & peas in first & cooked them for a minute of so longer than the other 2 veggies! It all came together quite nicely, & the flavor imparted by the peanut oil & garlic made this a GREAT DISH! [Made & reviewed as part of the Asian Challenge 3 ~ Add More Veggies! in Zaar's World Tour 4]