Summer heat came late and left a bit early this year...leaving lots of green tomatoes! This "throw together" green tomato salsa was declared "the best salsa I've ever had" by my brother-in-law. Cooking time includes canning process.
- 5 lbs green tomatoes, chopped small (as you prefer for salsa)
- 6 yellow onions, chopped (4 cups)
- 3 jalapenos, chopped with seeds (1/2 cup)
- 4 large red bell peppers, chopped (2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (optional, to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- Combine everything in a large pot, mixing well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To continue canning, bring salsa to a boil.
- Ladle salsa into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe lids and jar edges clean before finger tightening lids and placing them back in the boiling canning pot.
- Process (boil) jars for 15 minutes.
- Remove carefully and let sit for 24 hours. Check lids for seal, and refrigerate any unsealed jars.
This was great! I made two batches, the first with green Roma tomatoes & I put most of the ingredients in the food processor. This batch was a light orange. Second batch I used the real green tomatoes (Big Boy & Early Girl) and cut up the ingredients into a more chunky size, and cut all the other ingredients by hand also. The texture of this salsa was much more chunky and was very green with red highlights. Both recipes were great and it's a wonderful way to use up the green tomatoes.
We just made this today as I had about 10lbs of green tomatoes still in the garden. It is fabulous! After it cooked, I made a few adjustments - I added extra cumin and a teaspoon or two of chili powder and a little extra salt and it was absolutely perfect! I will definitely be making it and freezing it in party portions (pint size ziplocs) for the winter every time I have extra green tomatoes!!
This salsa was great! Never made green salsa before and it was a refreshing change from the red tomato stuff. Delish!