1/8 Photos of Green (Un-Ripe) Tomato Salsa for Canning
1 hr 30 mins
Summer heat came late and left a bit early this year...leaving lots of green tomatoes! This "throw together" green tomato salsa was declared "the best salsa I've ever had" by my brother-in-law. Cooking time includes canning process.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs green tomatoes, chopped small (as you prefer for salsa)
- 6 yellow onions, chopped (4 cups)
- 3 jalapenos, chopped with seeds (1/2 cup)
- 4 large red bell peppers, chopped (2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional, to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1Combine everything in a large pot, mixing well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2To continue canning, bring salsa to a boil.
- 3Ladle salsa into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe lids and jar edges clean before finger tightening lids and placing them back in the boiling canning pot.
- 4Process (boil) jars for 15 minutes.
- 5Remove carefully and let sit for 24 hours. Check lids for seal, and refrigerate any unsealed jars.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green (Un-Ripe) Tomato Salsa for Canning
Serving Size: 1 (4058 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.1
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 918.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 5.6 g