1/2 Photos of Green Tomatoes with Indian Spices
Serve this as part of an Indian dinner or as a vegetarian main course with rice. It is not easy to buy green tomatoes here, I have once tried to make this with red tomatoes, don't bother it will turn into a pulp, you want the tomatoes still in a chunky state when cooked. To my taste buds this is hot and spicy, adjust the heat to your own preference
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb green tomato, approx
- 1/4 cup oil (for frying)
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds or 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 green chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped (or more)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder or 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1Wash and quarter the tomatoes, if they are very large, halve the quarters again.
- 2Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan; add the fenugreek and cumin seeds.
- 3When they start to crackle add the tomatoes and green chilies, fry this for 2 minutes.
- 4Add everything else except the garlic, stir, cover and cook for approx 6 minutes.
- 5Uncover, add the garlic, turn up the heat and stir fry for 2/3 minutes, you will see that the oil which was separating first will now blend and make it more saucy together with the juices from the tomatoes.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Tomatoes with Indian Spices
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.6
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 57.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: