Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Unusual use for green tomatoes..but very tasty. From "Flavors" cookbook, San Antonio Jr. League 1978, says recipe contributed by Mrs. Harry E. Brown..this is one of my favorite cookbooks
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 fresh green chilies or 1 1⁄2 serrano chilies, finely chopped
- 2 large zucchini or 2 large yellow squash, cubed
- 4 medium green tomatoes, sliced
- 3 ears fresh corn, kernels removed from cob or 1 cup whole kernel canned corn
- Brown beef in oil.
- Add onion and chilies and saute 5 minutes.
- Add squash, tomatoes and corn.
- Simmer, uncovered over low heat for 30 minutes.
I was glad to find this recipe when an early autumn left me with lots of green tomatoes. His recipe was a pleasant surprise. It needed seasoning - salt and pepper, dried parsley and one packet of G. Washington broth took care of that. I also thickened the broth a little with some Wondra flour. I'll tuck this recipe away to make again next summer.