Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was in a local newspaper. Although I haven't tried it yet, it sounds interesting so I thought I'd post it so I always knew where to find it once I was ready to make it ;o)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box spice cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup raisins (or craisins)
- 1 1⁄2 cups green tomatoes, diced
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In mixing bowl, lightly beat the water, vegetable oil, eggs, and brown sugar until combined, about 2 minutes. Stir in spice cake mix and flour, and mix until smooth. Stir in the vanilla, walnuts, raisins, tomatoes, and apple. Blend well.
- Spoon the batter into a greased and floured 9x13 baking pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan with a knife or spatula. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Using a fine-mesh strainer or a sifter, sprinkle the top with powdered sugar. Optional: When serving, top each slice with a tablespoon of coconut and/or whipped cream, if desired.