Recipe by **Kelly**
A fabulous soup to use up those tomatoes. Freezes well. Serve with fresh cornbread as the perfect compliment to this flavorful soup.
Top Review by emilyice
I omitted the ham, used green tomatoes with the skin, and didn't puree the soup in a blender and it was still quite tasty. The final product is tart which I like. A great low calorie diet meal.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces country ham or 6 ounces smoked ham, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 medium green tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and stem removed, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; add ham, onion, and garlic. Sauté, stirring, until onion is tender. Add chicken broth, chopped green and red tomatoes, and minced jalapeno pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, pulse in a blender or food processor until almost smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and add celery salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce, as desired.