Recipe by TheBostonBean
Perfect for fall weather, or when your tomato crop is taking too long to turn. Freezes BEAUTIFULLY!
Top Review by Montana Ma
I doubled the recipe, using 2 large onions (instead of scallions), extra garlic, and about a pound of very meaty bacon ends (trimmed of excessive fat). Kielbasa works wonderfully with this, too.
To make it heartier, I'll add a can or two of cannelini beans or Great Northerns.
WONDERFUL FLAVOR! A dollop of light sour cream finishes it beautifully.
I've got about 200 pounds of green tomatoes, and I think I'll make this a time or two before they ripen.
- 8 slices smoked bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups scallions, Leeks work as well
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 4 -5 cups chopped unripe green tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large 4 quart pot over medium high heat.
- Add bacon and cook until browning.
- Add scallions, garlic and bay leaf until all is tender and cooked through.
- Add salt, pepper and tomatoes and stir well, then add broth and water.
- Bring to a simmer and cover partially for 35 minutes.
- Taste to adjust seasoning if need be.