Recipe by m f
I found this recipe in a canning book. It look easy, so I tried it. It tastes like the relish in the store. Plus, you can use all those green tomatoes you look at and hate going to waste.
Top Review by Redbeard Travels
I have to agree you should use a red pepper, not green. Also, instead of prepared mustard and celery salt, I used mustard seeds and celery seeds. It tastes just like what I bought at Silver Dollary City in Branson, Missouri. Yum!
- 1 quart chopped green tomato
- 1 large sweet white onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cup vinegar (5% acidity)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tomatoes, onion, and pepper in large bowl.
- Sprinkle salt over vegetables, mix in,and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain vegetables.
- Combine drained vegetables, sugar, mustard, and celery salt in a large pot.
- Tie cloves in cheesecloth and add to mixture.
- Stir in vinegar and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take out spice bag.
- Pack hot relish into hot jars.
- Leave 1/4 inch headspace.
- Place canning lids on jars.
- Process half pints for 10 minutes in hot water bath.