Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
An excellent relish for cold meats or burgers etc.
- 6 red sweet peppers
- 2 lbs green tomatoes
- 2 lbs onions
- 1 head cabbage
- 3 sweet green peppers
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- Coarsely grind all vegetables (or chopped if you prefer).
- Mix vegetables and salt.
- Cover and let stand 12 to 18 hours.
- Drain vegetables and rinse.
- Mix vegetables and remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes.
- Pack simmering mixture in hot jars, leaving 1/8" headspace; seal.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath Improves with keeping for several months.
Relish is excellent and very colorful. One batch makes about double the stated amount in recipe. I would highly recommend this recipe!