Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 6 lbs green tomatoes
- 3 medium onions
- 4 tablespoons pickling salt
- 5 slices lemons, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sweet red pepper (Fresh red sweet pepper should be finely chopped.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 2 teaspoons white peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Wash and core the tomatoes; peel the onions.
- Slice the tomatoes and onions thinly, mix with the salt and let stand overnight.
- In the morning drain thoroughly.
- Put the tomatoes and onions in a large kettle and add the lemon slices, pepper, sugar, vinegar, and the spices and mustard tied in a bag.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Discard the spice bag and turn the relish into hot jars.
- Seal at once.