Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The beginning of fall is heralded by a green tomato pie. It is a delightful dessert.
- 4-5 really green tomatoes (2 1/2 cups coarsely grated)
- 354.88 ml brown sugar
- 44.37 ml flour
- 59.14 ml minced candied ginger
- 118.29 ml golden raisin
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml allspice
- 1 fresh lemon rind, of grated finely
- 88.74 ml lemon juice
- 1 for an 8 inch pastry for double-crust pie
- Put tomatoes through a coarse grater or a food processor's large shredder.
- Put in a colander and let drain overnight.
- Prepare double pie crust.
- Line 8-inch pie pan with half.
- Roll out second half and set aside.
- Mix remaining ingredients with tomatoes.
- Place in pie shell and cover with top crust.
- Prick holes in crust.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 40 minutes longer or until golden brown.
I am making this pie for my second time in 2weeks. If anyone know what mincemeat pie is it is on that order. Very good, I brought a couple of pieces to church for a couple of ladies and they had all the ladies take a fork full, it was a hit.