Recipe by Laudee
Given to me by my best friend, handed down to her by her Grandmother. Been around for years...It's a tasty and easy recipe.
Top Review by Ambervim
Agnes Bell submitted this, almost identical recipe to All Saints Episcopal Church, West Plains, MO, 100th Anniversary version of Burnt Offerings. She got it from the Ozark Mountaineer.
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 6 2⁄3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons nutmeg or 1 1⁄3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 cups green tomatoes, slices,cut in quarters
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (or 1-1/3 Tbsp. white vinegar)
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together: sugar, flour, salt, nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Mix lightly through: green tomato slices, lemon juice (or vinegar), grated lemon rind Place mixture in unbaked crust.
- Dot with butter, Cover with top crust, Bake, 35-45 minutes, in a 425° oven, until nicely browned.
- Cool on wire rack-- Serve slightly warm.