Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups peeled and sliced green tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- line a pie pan with pie dough or use a ready-made crust.
- Mix the sugar, flour, lemon rind, allspice and salt together.
- Sprinkle just a little of this at the bottom of the pie shell.
- Arrange the tomato slices, a layer at a time as you cover each layer with the sugar mixture, lemon juice and a dot of butter on each slice.
- Keep layering until you reach the top of the pie tin.
- Cover with latticed top and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
I like the fact that this recipe uses less sugar than other green tomato pies. I found it to be sweet and delicious.