Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 cups tomatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Make crust for 9-inch pie. Core green tomatoes and cut into thin wedges, as you do for apple pie. Mix together dry ingredients.
- Stir in lemon juice and tomatoes until tomatoes are coated.
- Fill pie crust and add top crust. Flute edge and slit top 4 or 5 times.
- Bake 30 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 20 minutes.
- Tastes like mincemeat pie.
I have made this for Christmas and Thanksgiving for two years now, and I am just getting around to giving it a rating. Green Tomato Pie is a holiday tradition. My Grandmother always made it for my father when he was growing up. When I first made this version, which was a little different from the receipe that was passed down to me, he was pleased! He said it tasted "just like Mom's". Thanks Tonkcats!
Very good! I used only 3 tablespoons of flour as 5 seemed like a little too much. I increased the cinnamon to 1 teaspoon. I also added the zest of one lemon.Served with vanilla ice cream it was a really nice desert.Thanks this is a keeper.