Recipe by Charlotte J
Four recipes by Amy Walrod were featured in one of our farm newspapers last month. Amy lives just north of us. The photos of her recipes looked so good, that I had to post them here so I can try them later. Amy does not say what size pie pan to use. But she does say the secret to a good tomato pie is to cut the tomatoes VERY thin. For extra flavor they like to pour a little bit of cream over their slices of pie.
- 4 cups green tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3 -3 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 2 pie crusts
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sliced tomatoes with 1 teaspoon salt and let mixture sit for a few minutes.
- Drain excess liquid.
- Combine tomatoes with remaining ingredients, and spoon the filling over bottom pie crust.
- Cover filling with top pie crust, cut 3 or 4 air vents in the top.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 6 minutes.
- Then reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake pie for another 50 minutes or until the middle boils up.