Recipe by Chef MB
This recipe originally called for slicing the green tomatoes 1/4" thick, but I much prefer the texture of diced tomatoes in the finished pie. I think they cook better and are softer when diced, but you can always suit yourself.
Top Review by Chef Lainie
Sorry to say , but we did not care for this. The texture was not good, too firm and chunky, we were expecting more of an apple pie flavor. The green color was a turn off also.
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 large green tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425. Fit bottom crust into 9" pie pan and set aside.
- Put sugar, flour, salt and spices together in shallow bowl. Stir with a fork to mix.
- Take 1/3 of the tomatoes at a time, toss and turn them in the sugar mixture so they are evenly coated on all sides. Spread the sugared tomato slices evenly over dough in the pan, and sprinkle raisins over all, along with any remaining sugar mixture.
- Drizzle on the vinegar, then dot with the butter.
- Place top crust over tomatoes. Crimp the edges and cut vents in the top.
- Bake for about 40 min, or till crust is lightly colored and the juice is bubbling around the edge of the pie.
- Remove from oven. Serve at room temperature.