Prep 48 hrs
Cook 15 mins
I found it from a old Farm Journal and I changed some things that I didn't like.
- 2 quarts sliced green tomatoes, 1/4 thick
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pickling lime
- 2 gallons water
- Add sliced tomatoes to water, pickling lime and soak over night.
- Next day drain and rinse very good 3 or 4 times, soak in ice water 3 hours.
- Use a coffee filter and tie all spices, Heat vinegar, sugars,onions and spice bag to a boil 5 minutes remove onions and spice bag.
- Add tomatoes.
- Simmer until translucent about 15 minutes.
- Pack into jars and cover with syrup.
- Adjust lids at once.
- Process 10 minutes.