Recipe by JustJanS
This recipe from P.W.M.U. cookbook is the one my mum and I have always made. i am posting it for a request. The recipe has no quantity listed-I just sterilize a heap of jars, and keep filling them 'til the pickles run out!
Top Review by Tisme
Well this is not the nicest looking chutney I have made!
But it is up there with the best in taste!
I made this as written. It was easy to make, yet I was having hesitations about the color and flavour, so I decided to let it sit a week before tasting properly and reviewing. I am so glad I did! :-}
It is wonderful, sweet, yet spicy and such wonderful flavours!
I ended up with 2 x 400-500gr jars and 2 x 200gr jars from this recipe.
This is a fantastic way to use up green tomato's and I will be making this again.
Now just to cox a few of the family member's into tasting it, I know once they try it they will love it!
- 6 lbs green tomatoes
- 2 pints vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 medium onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cloves
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice tomatoes into an earthenware dish, sprinkle each layer with salt, and leave overnight.
- In the morning, boil the vinegar and spices, then strain.
- Slice the onions and add to the vinegar, drain liquid off tomatoes, and add to the other ingredients along with the raisins.
- Simmer until tender, bottle when cold.