Recipe by Nancy Sneed
All the fish restaurants in Arkansas serve this as a condiment. It adds a lot to the meal. Cook time is approximate. This recipe is done in 2 steps so you will need to prepare the veggies one evening to let them sit overnight.
Top Review by Barb G.
I'm giving you five stars even though I haven't made these yet. I am fixing to make them. deb asked if 45 minutes was to long to process the pickles. The Ball canning book says 15 minutes for Dilled Green Tomato Pickles, I'm sure it would be the same time. Thank you for posting this recipe.
- 6 quarts green tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 2 quarts onions, chopped
- 1 cup jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 gallon white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put tomatoes, red bell peppers, onions and jalapenos in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle salt over vegetables and let set overnight; drain well.
- Bring to a boil the sugar, mustard seed and vinegar.
- Add vegetables to boiling liquid; cook until vegetables change color.
- Put into jars and seal.