Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
All the fish restaurants in Arkansas serve this as a condiment. It adds a lot to the meal. Cook time is approximate. This recipe is done in 2 steps so you will need to prepare the veggies one evening to let them sit overnight.
- 6 quarts green tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 2 quarts onions, chopped
- 1 cup jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 gallon white vinegar
- Put tomatoes, red bell peppers, onions and jalapenos in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle salt over vegetables and let set overnight; drain well.
- Bring to a boil the sugar, mustard seed and vinegar.
- Add vegetables to boiling liquid; cook until vegetables change color.
- Put into jars and seal.
I'm giving you five stars even though I haven't made these yet. I am fixing to make them. deb asked if 45 minutes was to long to process the pickles. The Ball canning book says 15 minutes for Dilled Green Tomato Pickles, I'm sure it would be the same time. Thank you for posting this recipe.
This is easy to do. I made one batch already, without putting in the peppers. And I will be doing another batch tonight with the peppers. I water bathed them for 45 minutes. Does anyone know if that is to long or is it just right?
These pickles ARE excellent with fried fish. I increased the quantity of red bell pepper, to 2 c., increased the mustard seed to 1 Tbsp., and added 1 tsp. of celery seed. Also cut all the vegetables except the jalapenos about into about 3/4" cubes or pieces.