Recipe by katie in the UP
A coworker shared this recipe with me!! It is fabulous!! Right now my house is screaming HOLIDAYS from the wonderful aroma of it simmering on top of the stove!! I made just a couple of changes and substitutions. Thank you Bette!!
- 7 cups very green tomatoes, finely chopped
- 7 cups green apples, finely chopped
- 1 whole lemon, finely chopped (including rind)
- 1 cup sultana
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 4 cups sugar
- 12 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brandy (to 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter (can use oleo to keep vegetarian)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together all ingredients except butter in a deep heavy bottomed pot.
- Bring to a boil and immediately turn down heat so mixture will bubble gently.
- Cook uncoverered over med to low heat, stirring regularly to prevent sticking, for 3 hours or until mixture is thick and liquid is absorbed.
- Pot must be watched and heat lowered if it starts to splatter or if liquid evaporates to quickly.
- Taste and adjust according to your own tastes -- more brandy, vinegar or sugar.
- Simmer at least 3 hours.
- Once mincemeat is cooked down to desired thickness, mix in butter a little bit at a time until well combined.
- It will can, freeze or store in refrigerator (approx 30 days).
- Makes 3 quarts!