1/1 Photo of Green Tomato Mincemeat
3 hrs 45 mins
katie in the UP's Note:
A coworker shared this recipe with me!! It is fabulous!! Right now my house is screaming HOLIDAYS from the wonderful aroma of it simmering on top of the stove!! I made just a couple of changes and substitutions. Thank you Bette!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 cups very green tomatoes, finely chopped
- 7 cups green apples, finely chopped
- 1 whole lemon, finely chopped (including rind)
- 1 cup sultana
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 4 cups sugar
- 12 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brandy (to 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter (can use oleo to keep vegetarian)
- 1Mix together all ingredients except butter in a deep heavy bottomed pot.
- 2Bring to a boil and immediately turn down heat so mixture will bubble gently.
- 3Cook uncoverered over med to low heat, stirring regularly to prevent sticking, for 3 hours or until mixture is thick and liquid is absorbed.
- 4Pot must be watched and heat lowered if it starts to splatter or if liquid evaporates to quickly.
- 5Taste and adjust according to your own tastes -- more brandy, vinegar or sugar.
- 6Simmer at least 3 hours.
- 7Once mincemeat is cooked down to desired thickness, mix in butter a little bit at a time until well combined.
- 8It will can, freeze or store in refrigerator (approx 30 days).
- 9Makes 3 quarts!
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Tomato Mincemeat
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.1
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 186.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 56.5 g
- Protein 1.5 g