Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 40 mins
From Company's Coming. A great way to use up green tomatoes!
- 10 cups finely choppe green tomatoes, about 2 1/2 pounds
- water, to cover
- 5 cups apples, peeled cored and chopped
- 2 cups suet
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup mixed peel
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- Combine tomatoes and water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Boil gentley for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Add next 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Boil until thick, about 2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- Stir in remaining 6 ingredients.
- Pour into hot sterilized pint jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely. For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
- This can also be cooled and frozen or stored for months in refrigerator.
- Green Tomato Mincemeat Pie:.
- For a 9 inch pie, use 2 cups mincemeat, 3/4 cup applesauce and 1 1/2 tbsp minute tapioca. Bake on bottom shelf of 400 degree oven about 30-35 minutes, until browned.